Training for Clergy and the Celebret Process
The Catholic Church of England and Wales, the Bishops and Congregational Leaders are committed to Safeguarding as an integral part of the life and ministry of the Church. We affirm the One Church approach to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults through the promotion of a sustained and sustainable culture of constant vigilance. The Church recognises the personal dignity and rights of all Vulnerable People towards whom it has a special responsibility.
As part of the “One Church Approach” to Safeguarding, the Bishops’ Conference has agreed that all Clergy must complete a common National Safeguarding Training programme.
The Safeguarding Team would wish to thank all clergy for your ongoing commitment to safeguarding and ensuring our Parishes are a safe place for children and vulnerable adults.
In respect of the Celebret - Westminster Celebrets include a statement that says the priest ‘has an enhanced DBS check and has undergone the required safeguarding training’ and as such, the holder has a current Enhanced DBS check, renewed within the last three years, and he has received safeguarding training as detailed above within the last two years.
In respect of DBS: it has now been confirmed that the expectation is for all clergy to have a DBS check every 3 years.
In respect of training: it is expected that all clergy must receive updated Safeguarding Training every two years. This is in two parts:
- Firstly, the completion of 2 Educare modules on ‘Child Protection’ and ‘Safeguarding Adults’, or if you have already completed these in the last two years, the expectation is to complete the refresher modules.
- Secondly, to attend safeguarding training.
Due to the current situation the training day organised for the 16th April, has now being cancelled.
The training days in 2020:
These training days will take place in Vaughan House, 46 St Francis street, London SW1P - 1QN 9.30am (registrations for 10am start) to 5pm. Lunch will be provided.
To book on this one-day course, please email Gabriele Sedda on firstname.lastname@example.org specifying your dietary requirements.
Please note that places, on each training day, are limited to 55 attendees, and bookings will be on a first come first served basis.
Online Safeguarding Training: Towards a Culture of Safeguarding
The Church has a responsibility to ensure all those who undertake work in the name of the Church are adequately trained in safeguarding matters.
The Catholic Trust for England and Wales has purchased a package of e-learning programmes available to all members of the Catholic community free of charge. This is part of the Church’s ongoing commitment to safeguarding. These modules include:
- Child Protection
- Child Protection Refresher
- Child Exploitation
- Safeguarding Adults
- Safeguarding Adults refresher
- Mental Capacity
- Online Safety
What do I need to do to access this training resource?
- To register your interest please email: email@example.com
- Your email should contain your name, the name of your parish/order/ congregation, and your role (for example: Priest; member of the Religious; Safeguarding Representative; Youth Worker; Teacher; SVP/Volunteer; Parent/Grandparent/Guardian; Other).
- On receipt of your email the safeguarding administrator will register your email address with EduCare.
- You will receive a welcome email from EduCare inviting you to set your password.
- You will then have instant access to the training programmes.
Parish Safeguarding Representative Induction days
This induction day provides new reps with the basic training needed to carry out the important Safeguarding Rep role within their parish.
Dates for 2020:
- Thursday 23 January 2020
- Thursday 12 March 2020
- Saturday 16 May 2020
- Thursday 16 July 2020
- Tuesday 22 September 2020 (cancelled)
- Tuesday 27 October (TBC)
- Tuesday 17 November 2020 (TBC)
The venue is Vaughan House, 46 St Francis Street, London SW1P - 10am to 3:30pm.
Pre-course material and further details will be provided to those attending nearer the date. If you have any questions then please contact:
Arianna Sommariva at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0207 798 9358.
Document Awareness Training for PSRs - for additional information please click here.
PSR Safeguarding Conferences 2020 details now available on PSR resource centre and SG emails