On the weekend of 4/5 July the parish of St Edward the Confessor, Golders Green, celebrated the 100th anniversary of the building of the church with a flower festival.
Many of the neighbouring Christian churches, the nearby synagogue and the horticultural society in Hampstead Garden Suburb all contributed displays, whilst Floral Enterprise students from Caritas St Joseph’s Centre in Hendon dressed the statue of
St Joseph (below). A total of 28 arrangements made the church a remarkable place of colour and beauty. Visitors were offered guided tours, a rolling photographic display of the history of the parish in the hall along with tea and cake, and the chance to talk to parishioners.
The building of the church began under the stewardship of
Fr William Bendon, the first Parish Priest, in March 1914 and was completed in October 1915 when the first Mass was celebrated by Cardinal Bourne on the feast of St Edward the Confessor. Over the years there have been many notable visitors, including Mgr Ronald Knox, who preached a sermon on St Edward the Confessor which is now included in the Divine Office of the Church for his feast day.
The present Parish Priest, Fr Tony Convery, was delighted with the festival and open church, offering warm congratulations to those who organised it all.