On Sunday 11th November 2019, Sacred Heart and St John the Evangelist parish in Bushey celebrated the 60th anniversary of its church building. The parish church in London Road opened its doors for the first time in 1959. The occasion was honoured with a special Mass and celebration to give thanks for the people and events that contribute to the life of the parish community.
In a mark of the continuing vitality of the parish, six new altar servers were enrolled into the Guild of St Stephen as part of the Mass. The celebration was also attended by three founding members of the parish RCIA team, which was established 30 years ago. These three parishioners continue to guide new Catholics into the Church today.
The celebration included a big surprise for two unsuspecting parishioners, Andrew Kelly and Elizabeth Simpson. They both received the Papal Medal, Bene Merenti, in recognition of their services to the Church. Andrew has served for over 30 years, and has trained and supported the girls and boys who serve at weekend Masses. Elizabeth has nurtured and developed the music ministry into a wonderful parish choir (alongside Giovanni Marseglia, a previous Bene Merenti recipient). The parish choir has the honour of playing a significant part in the annual diocesan pilgrimages to Lourdes and Walsingham.
After the Mass and presentations, parishioners enjoyed a celebratory buffet lunch in the parish centre.