News Centre

Archbishop to be created Cardinal by Pope Francis

The Holy Father, Pope Francis, has named the Most Reverend Vincent Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster, a Cardinal. The announcement came during Pope Francis’s Angelus in St Peter's Square on 12 January, in which he created 15 more elector cardinals and three non-elector cardinals.

Archbishop Nichols issued the following statement:

“Today, I am deeply moved by the honour conferred upon the Catholic Church in England and Wales and on the Diocese of Westminster in my appointment as Cardinal by His Holiness Pope Francis.

"The Catholic Church in our countries has always had a profound and loving loyalty to the Holy Father, the Successor of St Peter. This appointment enables me, on behalf of all, to serve the Pope in a direct and prolonged way.

"Personally, this is a humbling moment when I am asked to take a place in this service of the Holy See and in the line of much loved Cardinal Archbishops of Westminster. I seek the blessing of Almighty God for these new responsibilities and I ask for the prayers of all people of faith that I may fulfil them with energy and devotion."

Archbishop Vincent is the 11th Archbishop of Westminster to be named as a Cardinal. He will join the College of Cardinals at the next consistory in Rome on 22 February, the Feast of the Chair of St Peter.

Born in Crosby, Liverpool, on 8 November 1945, Vincent Nichols studied for the priesthood at the Venerable English College in Rome from 1963 to 1970, gaining licences in philosophy and theology at the Gregorian University. He was ordained priest in Rome on 21 December 1969 for the Archdiocese of Liverpool.  In January 1984, he was appointed general secretary of the Bishops’ Conference in England & Wales. From 1989 to 1996 he was moderator of the Steering Committee of the Council of Churches for Britain and Ireland. Mgr Vincent Nichols was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Westminster, with responsibility for North London, on 24 January 1992 by Blessed John Paul II. He was named Archbishop of Birmingham in February 2000 before returning to Westminster in 2009 as Archbishop, successor to Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor, who had reached the retirement age of 75. Archbishop Vincent was elected President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales by unanimous acclamation on 30 April 2009.

To watch the video of Pope Francis announcing the names of the new Cardinals, click HERE

Your thoughts
  • Debby Morden
    Posted 17th January 2014 at 4:21pm

Thoroughly delighted to learn of this much deserved appointment!

• Maria Dunbar
    Posted 16th January 2014 at 8:16pm

As a family and extended Family of the Church, we celebrate with you and offer our heartfelt congratulations and prayers for many blessings on our new Cardinal.
    Peace be with you and with your Spirit. Bobby, Paschal & Maria

• Arwyn Thomas
    Posted 16th January 2014 at 5:27pm

Congratulations from the people of Wales. Llongyfarchiadau mawr

• John Herron
    Posted 14th January 2014 at 8:52pm

A long overdue honor for the shepherd of Westminster. He is a splendid successor to Manning Griffin, Godfrey. God bl;ess the archdiocese of Westminster

• John Watkins.
    Posted 14th January 2014 at 12:26pm

I am certain that the faithful of the Catholic Church in England and Wales are delighted at the news that Archbishop Vincent of Westminster is to be made a Cardinal. It is indeed an honour that Pope Francis has chosen this highly respected English Prelate to apply his many talents in the service the Holy Father.

I offer Archbishop Vincent my sincere congratulations, and assure him that I will pray for him regularly.

John Watkins
    St Wilfrid of York Parish.
    Diocese of Nottingham.

• Barbara Kentish
    Posted 14th January 2014 at 10:55am

We are delighted at Justice and Peace and wish the Cardinal every blessing in his new office.

• Brian Devine
    Posted 13th January 2014 at 10:45pm

Extremely happy for the Catholic Church in England. A true man of God. It would be wonderful if the new Cardinals adopted the themes set forth by the Holy Father.
    Look after the widows, orphans and the poor.

• Jenny M M
    Posted 13th January 2014 at 9:37pm

Profound. Among these new cardinals may be a a future Pope. May the Lord guide their every step and word and help them to bring together God's children.

• Martha Weger
    Posted 13th January 2014 at 9:26pm

Congratulations and Blessings to Archbishop Vincent! I was fortunate to attend Sunday Mass celebrated by the Archbishop in 2011 when visiting London. I have been a fan for several years.

• Victor Estrella Jr.
    Posted 13th January 2014 at 6:00pm

This is a great step for the future of our
    Catholic Church.

• Fr. Jim Mulherin, osm
    Posted 13th January 2014 at 12:35pm

Having served in the Diocese of Westminster from 2003 to 2012 I am delighted with this news and extend my heartiest congratulations to Archbishop Vincent.
    He is assured of my prayers

• Kay McGinley
    Posted 13th January 2014 at 12:00pm

Many congratulations Your Grace.. My prayers will be with you as you take on this new role in the Church. You will I think remember me as a member of staff in Birmingham.

• William McGonagall (poet)
    Posted 13th January 2014 at 10:05am

O Glorious Archbishop Nichols! The Church is so proud
    That with a Cardinal's hat you are to be endowed.
    For many long years we have lived in hope
    That you would be so honoured by the Pope.

For it is, it is, a glorious thing
    And all the Church must rise up and sing
    That for all your good work and benevolence
    You should be rewarded with the title of Eminence.

So three cheers for our new Cardinal
    And once again we shall have a voice in the college electoral.
    And no occasion for his elevation could be meeter
    That the forthcoming feast of the Chair of Saint Peter.

• Hans Gerards - Netherlands
    Posted 13th January 2014 at 6:32am

My deepest congratulations for this well deserved honour.

• Hugh Mackay
    Posted 13th January 2014 at 12:00am

I am really pleased because Archbishop Nichols knows the issues facing Catholics in the pew. He also knows of the very real problems Catholics have in the workplace and the dangers of social media that threaten to engulf teenagers and young adults.

• Dr Daniel McCarthy
    Posted 12th January 2014 at 9:24pm

And attended a school in Crosby, nicht wahr?

• Jane Adkin
    Posted 12th January 2014 at 8:41pm

This is fantastic news,a richly deserved accolade for a brilliant, deeply admired and sincerely loved, humble servant of God.

• Mrs Una Furlong
    Posted 12th January 2014 at 7:07pm

My congratulations to our new Cardinal Vincent Nichols,
    From Una Furlong a member of the Catholic Women's League in Boxmoor
    Hemel Hempstead. I have been a member for Thirty years.
    I am a parishioner of the Sacred Heart Church in Berkhamsted.
    Best Wishes and kind regards.

• Frances Brocklehurst
    Posted 12th January 2014 at 6:58pm

Congratulations to Most Reverend Vincent Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster on becoming a Cardinal. We wish him many blessings and we will keep him in our prayers. Frances and Paddy Brocklehurst. Hinckley, Leics.

• Tim Balfe
    Posted 12th January 2014 at 4:30pm

Wonderful news.
    Congratulations - Church
    and congratulations Archbishop Vincent.

Thank you Jesus. Thank you Pope Francis.

Come Holy Spirit we need your strength and guidance as we commit to pray for our new Cardinal. Give us the prayers that will be acceptable to our Heavenly Father.
    Bless our new Cardinal Vincent Nichols for your glory Father and the glory of your Church.

Come on England!

• Michael K O'Duffin
    Posted 12th January 2014 at 4:08pm

I am delighted at the appointment of Archbishop Nichols as Cardinal and offer my prayers that he will serve Christ and his church with wisdom and faith.

• Eileen Cole
    Posted 12th January 2014 at 1:34pm

Wonderful end to the Christmas season!

• (Not published)