Bishop John Sherrington was ordained as an Auxiliary Bishop of Westminster and Titular Bishop of Hilta on 14 September 2011.
Bishop Sherrington has responsibility for the pastoral care of Hertfordshire and is Chairman of the Westminster Diocese Education Commission. Within the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales, he was a member of the Department for Catholic Education and Formation (2013–14) and has been a member of the Department for Christian Responsibility and Citizenship with responsibility for life issues since 2014. He was Co-chair of the British Catholic-Methodist Committee and is now a member of the Methodist-Roman Catholic International Commission. He is a Trustee of CAFOD and a member of the governing body of the Anscombe Centre, Oxford.
Before becoming a parish priest (2004-2011), he lectured in moral theology at All Hallows College, Dublin and St John’s Seminary, Wonersh where he was also for a time a member of the formation staff. Before entering the seminary he graduated from Queen’s College, Cambridge in mathematics and worked for a short period in management consultancy.
- Born 1958 Leicester, within the Diocese of Nottingham
- St Thomas More Catholic Primary School Leicester
- Wyggeston Boys’ Grammar School Leicester
- 1977-1980: BA University of Cambridge (Mathematics) Queens’ College
- 1980: Pilgrimage to Lourdes with ACROSS and the Jumbulance
- 1980-1982: Worked for Arthur Andersen Management Consultants London
- 1982: Accepted by Bishop McGuinness for Nottingham Diocese
- 1982-1987: Seminary formation at All Hallows College Dublin
- 13 June 1987: Ordained Priest for the Diocese of Nottingham
- 1987-1988: Assistant Priest, Diocese of Nottingham, Ratcliffe on Trent near Nottingham
- 1988-1990: STL Gregorian University, Moral Theology
- 1990-1998: Lecturer in Moral Theology, Formation Work All Hallows College, Dublin
- 1998-2004: Lecturer in Moral Theology, St. John's Seminary, Wonersh, Guildford UK and for some time Director of Studies
- 2005: Member of the Bishops' Conference Working Party writing Cherishing Life
- 2004-2009: Parish Priest, Our Lady of Lourdes, Derby
- Also part of the chaplaincy team for the Mental Health Trust and Acute Trust
- Member of the Bishop's Council and Episcopal Vicar for Derbyshire
- Chair of the Diocesan Board of Commissions
- Chair of the Marriage and Family Life Commission of the Diocese
- Member of the British Catholic-Methodist Committee
- 2004: Appointed to the British Order of Malta Bioethics Committee
- Member of the Bishops' Conference Healthcare Reference Group
- 2009: Parish Priest, Good Shepherd Parish, Nottingham
- Member of various hospital ethics committees, Boards of School Governors, and the University of Derby Research Ethics Committee
- 2011: Ordained as Auxiliary Bishop of Westminster. Bishop John Sherrington is Chairman of the Diocesan Education Commission and has responsibility for the pastoral care of the deaneries of Hertfordshire.