News Centre

St Edward the Confessor Centenary Celebrations

On 26 September the Parish of St Edward the Confessor celebrated their centenary. Cardinal Vincent presided over Mass which was attended by guests as well as parishioners, many people wanted to celebrate such an important anniversary with St Edward the Confessor.

The site of the church was bought in 1908 by the first parish priest, Fr Brendan. A small church was built there, but the parish soon expanded and outgrew it. The current, larger church was begun in 1913 and was opened on the feast of St Edward the Confessor in 1915 by Cardinal Bourne. After the centenary Mass a celebration was held in the parish hall with food prepared by parishioners. Later there was even dancing!

Comment on this story