Bishop Paul McAleenan was ordained Auxiliary Bishop of Westminster and Titular Bishop of Mercia on the Feast of the Conversion of St Paul, 25 January 2016.
Bishop Paul has pastoral care of the deaneries of Hertfordshire.
Bishop Paul is Chair of the Caritas Board in the diocese. He also has oversight of all matters concerning Ethnic Chaplaincies, Hospital Chaplaincies and the work of the Permanent Diaconate. He is also the episcopal contact for the diocese's work with sick and retired priests.
In the Bishops' Conference, Bishop McAleenan is a member of the Department for International Affairs, where he is Lead Bishop for Migrants and Refugees and Racial Justice issues.
Bishop Paul was ordained to the priesthood on 8 June 1985 and has served in five different parishes before Episcopal Ordination, beginning as Assistant Priest at Our Lady of Grace and St Edward in Chiswick. In 1987, he was appointed Assistant Priest at St Aidan's in Acton and Chaplain at Hammersmith Hospital. In 1990, he was sent to Stevenage as a member of the Team Ministry.
He was appointed Parish Priest of St Scholastica's in Clapton in 1994, where he remained until 2001. He was then appointed Parish Priest of Holy Rood Watford. He was appointed a member of the Cathedral Chapter in 2010.
On 24 November 2015, he was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Westminster by Pope Francis.
- Born 15 July 1951 in Belfast
- Attended St Gabriel's Secondary School, Belfast
- Working in engineering until 1979
- Seminary Training: St Patrick's College, Thurles, Co Tipperary, Republic of Ireland
- 8 June 1985: Ordained priest for Diocese of Westminster
- 1985-1987: Assistant Priest of Our Lady of Grace and St Edward, Chiswick
- 1987-1990: Assistant Priest of St Aidan's Acton and Hospital Chaplain at Hammersmith Hospital
- 1990-1994: Assistant Stevenage Team Ministry
- 1994-2001: Parish Priest of St Scholastica's Clapton
- 2001-2015: Parish Priest of Holy Rood Watford
- 2010: Appointed member of Cathedral Chapter
- 24 November 2015: Named Auxiliary Bishop of Westminster by Pope Francis
- 25 January 2016: Ordained Auxiliary Bishop of Westminster and Titular Bishop of Mercia by Cardinal Vincent Nichols, with responsibility for the pastoral care of the deaneries of Hertfordshire and has oversight of Caritas Westminster.