There have been Religious living and working in the parish of St Aloysius, Somers Town, for most of its long history. The Faithful Companions of Jesus were the first to arrive in 1830, when their foundress, Madame d’Houet, took over the care of the parish school. Thus began the FCJ’s long association with what are now the St Aloysius Infant and Junior Schools and the Maria Fidelis School. The Poor Servants of the Mother of God have also been long associated with the parish and carry out a wide range of ministries, including social care, health care, education, pastoral care and spiritual development. More recently they have been joined by the Sisters of Mercy who work with vulnerable women through the women@thewell, a woman-only day centre in Kings Cross dedicated to supporting women with a complex range of needs.
Recently sisters from the three religious congregations have spoken at Mass about their work and witness and have hosted a pot-luck lunch for parishioners. Other events are planned for later in the year. 'It is a wonderful opportunity for us to come together as a community and share our experiences and our work', says Sr Gloria FCJ.
In this Year for Consecrated Life Pope Francis challenged Religious to be a light so that they may 'wake up the world' with their faith, holiness and hope. For the last 185 years their witness has been that light and Somers Town has been awake with their faith, holiness and hope. That light continues to shine brightly today.
By Fr Jeremy Trood, Parish Priest of Somers Town