THE SCHOOL & WESTMINSTER CATHEDRAL
Westminster Cathedral Choir School (WCCS) is one of London’s leading academic prep schools, and a choir school for the choristers of Westminster Cathedral.
The school was founded in 1902 to provide boarding choristers to sing the daily liturgy in the new cathedral. In 1976 day boys were introduced, and in 2017 a pre-prep school. Current numbers stand at two hundred and thirty boys, aged four to thirteen (Reception – Year 8). The twenty-five choristers receive major scholarships towards fees.
Westminster Cathedral is the seat of the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster and the Mother Church for Roman Catholics in England and Wales. Westminster Cathedral is also the home of the world-famous choir, which sings solemn Mass every day.
The governors of the School and the Administrator of Westminster Cathedral seek to appoint a Welfare Officer to be present at song schools/rehearsals that the choristers attend to ensure that best practice in safeguarding is maintained.
This post would suit a person with experience in the safeguarding of children in a school or social work context.
A part-time job-share could also be considered.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- To attend as many of the song schools/rehearsals as possible at the following times during a normal week in term time.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
8.10 am – 9.00 am
4.30 pm – 5.30 pm
8.10 am – 9.15 am
9.45 am – 10.30 am
12.00 pm – 12.50 pm
9.30 am – 10.30 am
12.25 pm – 1.15 pm
2.45 pm – 3.30 pm
All breaks in between song schools/rehearsals are to be taken off the School site.
- In addition, to attend as many song schools/rehearsals as possible during the period from the end of the Christmas term to Christmas Day and during the week before Easter Sunday.
- To ensure that the following School policies are supported by all adults working in regulated activity with the choristers:
- Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy
- Responsibilities of all academic staff
- Rewards and sanctions
- To report weekly when the choristers are resident to the Deputy Head Master (Pastoral) and the Diocesan Head of HR as required.
- To maintain knowledge of best practice in safeguarding, and of the standards required of all adults working in regulated activity with children.
- To maintain professional dress and appearance.
- To maintain mannerly and professional spoken and written relationships with all colleagues at the School and Cathedral, and with the choristers.
- To be publicly supportive of the School’s and choir’s mission and aims.
The position is part-time and fixed term to the end of the Michaelmas term 2018 (25th December 2018). The role starts week commencing 3rd September 2018.
Remuneration will be up to £15.00 per hour, depending on experience.
The post holder will be eligible to join a defined contribution pension scheme provided by Standard Life, with match funding up to 5% of salary.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates should complete the application form and send it with a brief (one page only) letter of application to:
Mr Neil McLaughlan
Westminster Cathedral Choir School
London SW1P 1QH
An additional CV or supporting statement is not required.
The closing date for applications is Monday 20th August. Interviews will be held at the School on either Thursday 23rd or Friday 24th August.
Candidates who would like more information on this role are welcome to contact the School’s Designated Safeguarding Lead, Ed Graham.